Traveling is fun when you are in the company your loved ones, this of course includes your furry friends…
Puerto Vallarta is growing in the Pet Friendly culture. It is easy to find Pet Friendly condos and houses. There are activities for you to enjoy without the stress of worrying about the pets you left behind.
Whether you are going to be away for a few weeks or you are considering moving to Puerto Vallarta, the process of traveling with your pet is not as complicated as it may sound.
According to the Mexican Government these are their requirements and it is a good idea to use APHIS Form 7001 which can be downloaded from the Internet:
That the animal has been immunized against rabies, indicating the date of application of the vaccine and the validity thereof. This vaccine must be under one year of the date of travel. This requirement is exempt for animals under 3 months of age.
The animal must have been subjected to a treatment against external and internal parasites in a period not to exceed six months.
An inspection by a certified veterinarian prior to export that the pet is clinically healthy and a health certificate issued.
The health certificate must be under 15 days prior for travel to Mexico but it is a good idea to check with your airline prior to your flight for any specific requirements.
What to do before your flight:
- Make sure that you have all your pet documentation, health and vaccination certificates.
- Medication if you decide to give any sedation medication for the flight, we strongly suggest you talk to your veterinarian first.
- Exercise your pet as much as you can, it is better if they are tired before the flight as this may help them to be more relaxed during the flight.
- Try to arrive early to the airport and offer your pet outdoor walks if possible. Also ask at the airport if they have a special space for pets in which they can do their necessities.
- Carry a small bowl and a bottle of water (purchased in the airport) so you can offer your pet a drink once you arrive at your destination.
- Do not feed or give your pet water at least 8 hours prior to your trip. They will be much happier during the flight if they do not have the call of nature.
- Clip your pets nails before the trip.
- If you pet is going to travel in cargo and they are not used to being in a cage, we suggest you work on it a few weeks before the travel, allow him to adjust and adapt slowly to it. Also leave him a cloth or blanket he is used to, this will help them to feel calmed.
Is recommendable to bring their own items, so they do not feel away from home:
- Bowl for water
- Rabies Tags
- Identification Tag
- Health Certificate
Puerto Vallarta has many hotels, condominiums and developments that allow dogs or cats. Don’t worry if you have forgotten to bring something for your pet as there are many pet stores in town. Walmart also sells many items for both dogs and cats. Many of which are the same brands sold in the US and Canada.
All of the beaches in Puerto Vallarta are pet friendly. Who wouldn’t want to bring their dog to the beach to frolic in the sand and surf? Quite a few restaurants are also pet friendly and they will be happy to bring your pet a bowl of water.
If you are considering purchasing in Puerto Vallarta and you need to find a pet friendly house or condo, do not hesitate to contact me at email@example.com or call my cell at 3221426296.
** Thanks to Edith Soto and Gerri Ouellete for their contribution to this article.